Friday, April 8, 2011

I'm a slacker...but we've been moving, so I have an excuse = P

We finally moved out of my parents' house, into our very own spankin' new apartment.  It's ~tiny~.  But it's OURS!!  And no one gets to kick me out of the bathroom anymore, on the basis of seniority(I'm talking about YOU, Mom).  My friend Rachel, who is awesome, is giving Sofi her old dresser and chest of drawers, from when she was a little girl(it's white/cream, with little flowers painted on...kind of old fashioned, but free is free!), as well as giving us a great big white book shelf, which we NEED.  But we have yet to have a good day/time to go retrieve said items and lug them up the stairs to our house, because of several different issues.  So...Sofi's room is a bed, a gajillion toys, and plastic storage totes full of clothes, books, etc.  But she has room to play. 

Two weeks ago, my husband brought our ferret home, for the first time.  He was staying with my in-laws, while Daniel was having to crash there, and had been confined to one room for the whole time we'd had him(since last fall).  He LOVES our house.  He stays in the bathroom at night, and when we're gone, so he doesn't get into mischief, and because of this, he's claimed it as his property.  If he's been wandering around the house, and I can't find him, all I have to do is go in the bathroom and make 'bathroom' sounds--clank the toilet seat, etc., and especially if I shut the door--he comes hurrying in, and sniffing everything.  It's like he's saying, "Hey, you're in my room.  Did you touch my stuff?  Don't touch my stuff.  Hi!  Pet me."  He's very congenial.  By the way, his name is Puck, after the character in A Midsummer Night's Dream, who is a fairy/sprite with a strong sense of mischief, but who is also compassionate.  My Puck is very like that.  He's into everything, loves to rough-house(which is like a kitten's play, only his claws and teeth are more blunt and gentle), etc., but he also wants to be held, sometimes, and cuddled.  He prefers to sleep inside an article of clothing- mine, my husband's, or Sofi's.  We think it's for the smell. 


Sofi has been naming some of his actions; she calls his habit of sniffing our faces and feet "whiskering", because his whiskers brush the skin before his cold nose does.  She made me laugh so hard, one night this past week, when she exclaimed, "He's so puckish!"  She thought she was just referring to him having his own cute personality, but I told her that's a real word, and it a good description of him.  They get along well, most of the time, but she has this urge to turn into Elmira from Tiny Toon Adventures, sometimes, and I have to separate them for a while.

So, needless to say, I have to get house work done, and computer fun, at night or on the weekends, when she's with her dad. 
Yesterday, we had a blast, and all we were doing was the laundry!  Our apartments don't have washer/dryer capabilities, the complex just has a laundry 'room', which is like a laundromat that's just for the residents.  Unfortunately, our building is in the VERY back of the complex(it's U shaped, and we're the bottom), and the laundry room is waaaay up at the front.  Yay us.  But Sofi likes helping me do it, and my mom gave us a hamper on wheels, with an extending handle, which she was so conveniently hoarding, LOL.  So we walked down there, checked our mail on the way, she picked a washer, helped me load it, then put the quarters in for me.  Then we walked home, and when we got there, her buddy, Karra, who lives 2 doors over from us, wanted to hang out.  So they went back with us when we put the wet clothes in the dryer, then back again when we got them and brought them home.  I forgot to mention-Sofi rode her bike to and from the laundry room every time.  So she got NICE and worn out, and had a great appetite, when we got back the final time.  I cooked her a chicken leg, and heated up left over macaroni and a biscuit for her, and I ate a microwave steam pack meal thing, with whole wheat bow-tie pasta, some veggies, and shrimp scampi.  She wolfed down her entire meal!!  Most days she nibbles, then runs off to play, and I'm lucky if she comes back 2 or 3 more times and finishes it.  I believe we have found the solution to this problem. :D

No comments: